Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Importance of a Little Black Dress


Chanel's original LBD.

I’ve decided that my first blog entry will be on one of my favorite topics-- the Little Black Dress. Since it was introduced by Coco Chanel (my idol-- all of my readers better get used to me raving about her!) in 1926, its popularity has increased an amount so great that it puts many other designers’ iconic ensembles to shame. Upon its release, it instantly became universal. Vogue magazine called it “Chanel’s Ford.” Like the Model T, the Little Black Dress was simple and accessible for women of all social classes, as the design was immediately copied by other designers. This didn’t bother Chanel, however, she even said so-- “All I ask is to be imitated. That would be the greatest proof of success.” Vogue said that the LBD would become “a sort of uniform for all women of taste.” And it certainly has, don’t you think?
So, enough of the history lesson. 

My favorite photo of Ms. Chanel.
Every woman has a Little Black Dress. If she doesn’t, I strongly suggest that that woman stop reading this blog immediately and get to her nearest Nordstrom or Saks or even Target and pick up her own perfect Little Black Dress. 
The LBD is the solution to every woman’s dress problem. The dress is so versatile that one is all you need (I’ll admit it, I have upward of five…). It can so easily be dressed up or down, made to look retro, bohemian, you name it and you can do it with the dress.
Essentially, the LBD-- no matter the length, neckline, or style --is a vital part of every fashion-forward woman’s closet.  

Audrey Hepburn in her famous LBD (from Breakfast at Tiffany's).


Have a dazzling day!


How many LBDs do you have? How often do you wear it? Was it worth the $$$? 

No comments:

Post a Comment